March 26, 2013

The Bride

I do have a soft spot in my heart for classic monsters. Monsters are outsiders.  I can relate to being an outsider. I have ALWAYS felt like an outsider.  Even as a child I felt like I didn't fit in. 1930's movie monster, The Bride of Frankenstein is an interesting case.  Poor thing got her monster status forced upon her. Marriage was forced upon her too- that is the scariest part of the whole story, really. There is so much that could be said about her- she comes in at a timein American history when women are on the verge of stepping into the work force- on the verge of equality. As women, we are constantly bombarded with images and language telling us we have to be perfect..


In some ways this post relates back to an older one I made on creating the perfect woman.   That paired with loneliness, isolation, fear of the unknown, reanimation.....it is no wonder many artists have been inspired to create their own rendition of her.  This is an epic collection that is diverse,everything from illustrations in graphic novels to toys, expressing how wide spread the love of The Bride is.  I have also included several stills from the movie- one being a rare photo of actress Elsa Lanchester touching up her make up in between takes.